Garden Science Instructor
Email resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for this position.
- Facilitates Garden Science classes, incorporating environmental science and nutrition education as they relate to the garden, working closely with classroom teachers to develop season and grade-level appropriate lessons that support classroom teaching in a range of curriculum areas (science, social studies, mathematics, language arts, etc.), providing a hands-on experience for students in an outdoor setting in the Edison Garden.
- Maintain a productive and educational organic garden, including seed planting, propagation, plan seasonal garden and plant rotation, manage soil fertility, and manage pests and plant diseases; including summer maintenance and harvest, as needed.
- Prep for garden lesson in advance, including purchasing supplies, prepping food samples, soil sample kits, visual aids, etc.
- Coordinate with Garden Committee, teachers, and staff, as needed to appropriately plan lessons and maintain garden; documenting and reporting on activities, as needed.
- One garden lesson per class per month, for 18 classes, from September through May. Classes are scheduled Mon-Thurs, 8AM - 3PM, six days per month. Each classroom will be split into 2-3 groups, 30 minutes per group.
- Garden Committee Chairs are available to assist with overall program planning.
- Garden Docents are available to assist with garden lessons, lesson prep, and transporting children to/from classroom.
- Garden Maintenance Crew is available for special maintenance projects and support throughout the year on scheduled Garden Work Days. Garden work days alternate between Saturdays and Sundays, 9AM - 1PM, one day per month.
- Independent contractor position, approximately 10-15 hours per week.
- Selected candidate will need to be fingerprinted (Livescan) and take a TB test.
- Experience with organic gardening or farming
- Experience teaching and leading groups of students (preferably ages 5-11)
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Ability to work independently and be flexible
- Ability to stand, stoop and lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to work outdoors
Please send any questions to email@example.com.